1943-? “During this era there were two “organized” music plans, one operated by Columbia Artists (a subsidiary of CBS Broadcasting) known as Community Concerts, and the other operated by the National Broadcasting Company as a subsidiary known as the Civic Music Association. The University of Oregon operated under the civic music plan. This plan differed […]
Celebrating 100 years of supporting live music and professional musicians! Local 689 is a chapter of the American Federation of Musicians of the United States and Canada. Local 689 was granted charter in 1914, making it one of the oldest organizations in Eugene. The Local had its own building at 2489 Portland Street in Eugene between […]
1878 Choral Society of Eugene City was formed – earliest non-sectarian efforts of organized singing. The first known public appearance of the society was the UO commencement in June 1884.
First fraternal organization in Eugene. Location: Originally at 47 W 8th Ave, downtown Eugene, then moved to 992 Olive St.
Eugene’s first documented organized band. Active years as a band: 1859 – 1872 Active years as an association: 1872 – 1940s? On March 5, 1859 the Eugene City Brass Band (a 14-piece band) gave a concert at the courthouse. A news item in the People’s Press had this to say about the concert: “…Notwithstanding the rain […]
Eugene Oratorio Society was sponsored by the Department of Music and open to the community. Active Years: 1896 1896-1897 (Department of Music) The Eugene Oratorio Society, organized in 1896 and composed of students and townspeople, met once a week in the Baptist Church. Wallis Gifford Nash was the director. They performed Stainer’s Daughter of Jairus […]