Lane County has a long and very interesting music history with limited documentation.
Our goal is to research and document our rich and diverse music history and how music has evolved over the past 100 years in Lane County.
It’s been much like piecing together a puzzle with many missing pieces. But with the support and collaboration of our music community and family members, we have slowly filled in some of the blanks!
We have taken a comprehensive approach to tracing and documenting our local music history:
- Collect and review newspaper articles, related history books, etc (library search, Google)
- Collect and archive images (photos, posters, ticket stubs, etc).
- Conduct interviews to collect an oral history regarding different historical events, music genres, etc.
- Conduct Focus Groups to discuss and document the music history of specific genres, venues, or eras.
- Collect samples of different music genres
- Compare local musical trends with national trends and historical events.
Some of the things we would like to accomplish:
- Comprehensive documentation of influential musicians, popular bands/orchestras, historic music venues, and music-related services.
- Develop an interactive map of local historic music venues (performance halls/dance halls/taverns/lounges/etc)
- Develop an interactive timeline showing the evolution of genres
Seeking volunteers and Interns to help make this information accurate and engaging!!