1878 Choral Society of Eugene City was formed – earliest non-sectarian efforts of organized singing. The first known public appearance of the society was the UO commencement in June 1884.
Snapshot of Lane County in the 1870's
The arrival of the railroad changed the pattern of development in almost every realm. Industry spread along its tracks instead of remaining bound to the river or the Millrace. The western portion of what is now the Whiteaker neighborhood was developed immediately after the railroad berm controlled flooding in the area. Most importantly, however, industries could now import/export products greater distances than ever before.
- 1870 The last stage from Eugene to California. Still ran up the McKenzie.
- 1871 Oregon and California (O&C) railroad tracks from Portland reach Eugene.
- 1871 Willamette Street graded and gas lights installed
- 1874 Bridge built to connect Eugene and Springfield
- 1876 University of Oregon opens; Deady Hall completed (1878 first graduating class)
- 1876 Ferry Street Bridge built
The music products industry followed settlers and the railroad West. Chicago retailers and distributors, who had relied on products made by East Coast manufacturers, began building their own factories to supply instruments to dealers in frontier towns such as Milwaukee and Denver. Chicago became the western hub of the music industry.
- 1878 NY Symphony Orchestra founded
First fraternal organization in Eugene. Location: Originally at 47 W 8th Ave, downtown Eugene, then moved to 992 Olive St.
Eugene’s first documented organized band. Active years as a band: 1859 – 1872 Active years as an association: 1872 – 1940s? On March 5, 1859 the Eugene City Brass Band (a 14-piece band) gave a concert at the courthouse. A news item in the People’s Press had this to say about the concert: “…Notwithstanding the rain […]
Location: 488 Willamette St. Downtown Eugene Built and operated by Charles Lane. Here the city’s first citizens gathered for traveling shows of various types, as well as other public events. 1869 Lane Hall was the first public structure built after the town was incorporated. The hall was a narrow frame structure with wooden benches located Eighth Avenue […]
The first Lane Courthouse, built in 1855 on the northeast corner of 8th Avenue and Oak Street, doubled as the first community center. On March 5, 1859 the Eugene City Brass Band (a 14-piece band) gave a concert at the courthouse. A news item in the People’s Press had this to say about the concert: […]