First fraternal organization in Eugene. Location: Originally at 47 W 8th Ave, downtown Eugene, then moved to 992 Olive St.
Snapshot of Lane County in the 1850's
Eugene’s earliest entertainment came from traveling singers, whistlers, elocutionists and from home-produced dramatics and musical offerings. With the expansion of various forms of transportation came the need for hotels, eateries, and entertainment for the traveling guests.
- 1851 Lane County created
- 1855 First Stagecoach to reach Eugene at one per week
- 1858 First newspaper “The News”
- 1859 Oregon granted statehood
- 1850 Community brass bands have spread across the country into California
- 1851 West Coast – First opera in San Francisco California
Eugene’s first documented organized band. Active years as a band: 1859 – 1872 Active years as an association: 1872 – 1940s? On March 5, 1859 the Eugene City Brass Band (a 14-piece band) gave a concert at the courthouse. A news item in the People’s Press had this to say about the concert: “…Notwithstanding the rain […]
The first Lane Courthouse, built in 1855 on the northeast corner of 8th Avenue and Oak Street, doubled as the first community center. On March 5, 1859 the Eugene City Brass Band (a 14-piece band) gave a concert at the courthouse. A news item in the People’s Press had this to say about the concert: […]