Eugene Oratorio Society was sponsored by the Department of Music and open to the community.
Active Years: 1896
1896-1897 (Department of Music)
The Eugene Oratorio Society, organized in 1896 and composed of students and townspeople, met once a week in the Baptist Church. Wallis Gifford Nash was the director. They performed Stainer’s Daughter of Jairus in Villard Hall with a Chorus of 50 and an orchestra of 10.
1897-1898 (Department of Music)
The Eugene Oratorio Society performed Rossini’s Stabat Mater with Wallis Gifford Nash conducting. Concerts were held in Villard Hall. Soloists were R. C. Brooks, soprano; Irving M. Glen, bass; Mr. E. D. Resler, tenor; and Miss Katherine Glen, contralto. The Society meets once a week in the Baptist church.
The Eugene Oratorio Society performed Haydn’s Creation with 100 voices and an orchestra of 22. W. G. Nash directed.
1902 – 1903
The Eugene Oratorio Society of 160 voices performed Gounod’s Redemption and Elijah.
Irving M. Glen directed the Eugene Oratorio Society