Location: 2nd Floor, 1025 Willamette Street, Eugene Oregon
The New Iron Bridge/Iron Bridge was located on the corner of 10th and Willamette Street, across from the McDonald Theater. It was a popular concert and dance hall in the mid/late 60’s, booking both local and national touring bands such as Paul Butterfield, Charlie Musslewhite, Dick & Dee Dee, The Wailers, The Sonics.
The Schaefers Building was completed at the end of 1929. The building is listed on the National Historic Record displaying the Art-Deco Ziggurat style popular of the 1920′ s. The exterior and common areas of the building were renovated with custom fabrication of the brick and tile masonry matching the original designs. The 2nd floor was originally designed as a bowling alley. The downstairs had a variety of uses, including Odyssey Records and Tapes.
The second floor:
- Bowling Alley (1929)
- Eugene Recreation Center – Upstairs Bowling Alley/Billiards (1937-1965)
- New Iron Bridge (1966-1967) – Two U.O. architect students started it. It has been reported that live recordings were produced there.
- The Great Balloon Ballroom – 1968 (The Golden Flea?)
- The Music Machine – 1968 (1 reference found)
- The Attic (1968 -1971) some of the 1st Saturday Markets were held here!
- Currently the building is owned by the Lane Council of Governments (commercial office space) and occupy the downstairs. The upstairs in not in use. It is for lease, if anyone is interested in starting another Live Music venue!
- A Mother’s Kiss, Hammond Typewriter, & The Pleasure Seekers are featured for Grand Opening (Dec 2, 1966)
- Ike & Tina Turner and the Ikettes
- The Wailers
- The Torries
- Paul Butterfield
- Charlie Musslewhite
- Dick & Dee Dee
- The Sonics
- Little John & the Monks
- The Moguls
1968 – Great Balloon Ballroom
March 14, 1968 – Four Eugene Rock Bands: Transparent Delight, The Genetics, The Sixth Dimension, & The Sound Inspiration (the Great Balloon Ballroom)