The Mohawk Brass Band, also known as the Ping Yang Band, first formed in 1902.
Snapshot of Lane County in the 1900's
- 1900 School of Music was organized at the UO
- 1900 Eugene population reaches 3,236
- 1902 Seventeen Music Professors at UO
- 1900 Birth of Jazz - Based on Mississippi River boat music and black, French, Spanish piano music, jazz develops in New Orleans brothels, honky-tonk bars.
- “Country” music of southeastern U.S. features guitar, fiddle banjo, harmonica-direct descendant of English, Scottish, Irish ballads, and folk songs.
- “Western” musical genre spreads through western states, features steel guitars and large bands; singing cowboys.
In the 1890s, Springfield had its own Cornet Band which gave regular performances in a bandstand on the southwest corner of Second and Main Streets. – Source: Springfield Historic Context Statement, 1999. Early band director – Tim Wheeler. Source: Undocumented Later band director – Albert Perfect MUSIC ON PROGRAM FRIDAY EVE (Friday night at a meeting) of […]
Oscar R Page was a logger / musician from Wendling, Oregon. He was known for his Port Townsend-built Symphony Harp Guitar. About Wendling – from Wikipedia: Wendling is an unincorporated community in Lane County, Oregon, located northeast of Marcola. Wendling’s post office operated from 1899 to 1952. It was named for George X. Wendling, a local lumberman. A […]
1878 Choral Society of Eugene City was formed – earliest non-sectarian efforts of organized singing. The first known public appearance of the society was the UO commencement in June 1884.
First fraternal organization in Eugene. Location: Originally at 47 W 8th Ave, downtown Eugene, then moved to 992 Olive St.
Eugene Oratorio Society was sponsored by the Department of Music and open to the community. Active Years: 1896 1896-1897 (Department of Music) The Eugene Oratorio Society, organized in 1896 and composed of students and townspeople, met once a week in the Baptist Church. Wallis Gifford Nash was the director. They performed Stainer’s Daughter of Jairus […]
Albert Perfect organized the first University Ladies’ Band on the West coast. The 30-piece band existed until 1919. –Source: UO School of Music & Dance Timeline
Active Years: 1908 – 1908 was the first time that the University Band was mentioned in the catalog. Known as Oregon’s Boola Band, it included 12-15 musically inclined students and townspeople who got together for a few practices, then played for home football games and rallies. No director was mentioned. It is quite likely that […]
Location: 986 Willamette Street in the DaPaine Building, downtown Eugene Oregon Active Years: 1909-1915
Morris Music House was also known as the Morris Piano House Owned by Harley E. Morris Date: 1905 – 1927 Location: 606 Willamette Street, Eugene, Oregon (pre-1913 street numbers). The store was on the southwest corner of Willamette and 9th Avenue. The street number later changed to 912 Willamette. The music store was housed in the Chrisman […]
The Morris and Craw music store sold pianos, organs and typewriters. Dates: 1903 Location: 4 East 9th Avenue Eugene, Oregon Source: LCHM – GN375
University Orchestra Active Years: 1893- Members pose with their instruments in 1893. Left to right are Damaris Schofield (later Mrs. Lester Hulin), David Linn, Len Stevens with violin, Charlie Chambers with cello, Emma Dorris, Fletcher Linn, Frederick Dunn with stringed bass, Jesse G. Miller and Mamie Linn. 1910 – 1911 1912 – 1913 […]
Rex Underwood (violinist) taught Orchestra and Strings at the UO School of Music between 1919-1947. Prior to becoming to the UO he was with the Leipsic Royal Conservatory of Music and the Royal Bavarian Conservatory of Music. He studied with Joseph Olheizer, Chicago, Hans Becker, Leipzic, Michael Press, Berlin, and Ostrovsky, London. Director of the University Orchestra “The University […]
Cole McElroy (1888 – 1947) J. Cole McElroy, also known as “Pop” McElroy was a popular Jazz musician and widely known dance hall manager from Oregon. “Born in Corvallis to E.B. McElroy, he moved to Eugene to attend the University of Oregon in the late 1800’s. He graduated from UO in 1900. In 1910, after nine years managing his father’s […]
Location: 490 / 676 Willamette St. Downtown Eugene Building History 1903 The Eugene Theatre (aka Eugene Opera House) was located on the west side of Willamette Street between Sixth and Seventh avenues. The theater was built by LN Roney, RA Booth and FL Chambers and managed by Cal M Young. It was one of the most important theaters during […]