In the 1890s, Springfield had its own Cornet Band which gave regular performances in a bandstand on the southwest corner of Second and Main Streets. – Source: Springfield Historic Context Statement, 1999. Early band director – Tim Wheeler. Source: Undocumented Later band director – Albert Perfect MUSIC ON PROGRAM FRIDAY EVE (Friday night at a meeting) of […]
Snapshot of Lane County in the 1890's
Singing teachers and piano and organ instructors were plentiful in the Nineties.
- 1890 Eugene Population reaches 2478
- 1895 Wallis Gifford Nash became the new Director of the UO Department of Music
- 1899 Street paving (through 1908)
- 1899 Rental property in great demand
- 1890 The music industry was one of the largest and most innovative in America. Music dealers, manufacturers and distributors all had retail stores. Shops ranged from elegant showrooms for pianos and organs to dry goods stores with printed music, a few guitars and concertinas. Department stores also began to enter the music business.
- Most band, stringed and fretted instruments were sold by music teachers hoping to earn an extra dollar. Gibson Guitar Company developed an extensive “teacher-agent” program to boost sales and encourage teachers to sell their line of guitars and mandolins. A few teachers also opened small stores.
- 1891 Carnegie Hall opens in New York
- 1893 Piano production fell 50% during the economic panic of 1893
- 1895 - 1898 Spanish-American War started
- 1896 One of the first school orchestras was established in Wichita, Kansas, in 1896. Public support for music education encouraged schools to hire music teachers and create band and orchestra programs for their students.
- 1896 The craze of the new genre of music called “Ragtime” sweeps across the southern portions of the country. Places like New Orleans develops Jazz music and the craze lasts until about 1918
- 1897 Composers Scott Joplin, James Scott, and Joseph Lamb establish, popularize ragtime, give birth to America’s popular music industry, ending reliance on Europe.
1878 Choral Society of Eugene City was formed – earliest non-sectarian efforts of organized singing. The first known public appearance of the society was the UO commencement in June 1884.
First fraternal organization in Eugene. Location: Originally at 47 W 8th Ave, downtown Eugene, then moved to 992 Olive St.
Eugene’s first documented organized band. Active years as a band: 1859 – 1872 Active years as an association: 1872 – 1940s? On March 5, 1859 the Eugene City Brass Band (a 14-piece band) gave a concert at the courthouse. A news item in the People’s Press had this to say about the concert: “…Notwithstanding the rain […]
Eugene Oratorio Society was sponsored by the Department of Music and open to the community. Active Years: 1896 1896-1897 (Department of Music) The Eugene Oratorio Society, organized in 1896 and composed of students and townspeople, met once a week in the Baptist Church. Wallis Gifford Nash was the director. They performed Stainer’s Daughter of Jairus […]
University Orchestra Active Years: 1893- Members pose with their instruments in 1893. Left to right are Damaris Schofield (later Mrs. Lester Hulin), David Linn, Len Stevens with violin, Charlie Chambers with cello, Emma Dorris, Fletcher Linn, Frederick Dunn with stringed bass, Jesse G. Miller and Mamie Linn. 1910 – 1911 1912 – 1913 […]
Rex Underwood (violinist) taught Orchestra and Strings at the UO School of Music between 1919-1947. Prior to becoming to the UO he was with the Leipsic Royal Conservatory of Music and the Royal Bavarian Conservatory of Music. He studied with Joseph Olheizer, Chicago, Hans Becker, Leipzic, Michael Press, Berlin, and Ostrovsky, London. Director of the University Orchestra “The University […]
Location: 9th and Oak St. Downtown Eugene Owner: J.B. Rhinehart Because Eugene’s location offered a convenient one-night stop for road companies traveling between Portland and San Francisco, many of the top stars of the day appeared on the Rhinehart Theater stage. Building History 1884 Rhinehart Theater – As the town grew in size, moving outward […]
Location: 488 Willamette St. Downtown Eugene Built and operated by Charles Lane. Here the city’s first citizens gathered for traveling shows of various types, as well as other public events. 1869 Lane Hall was the first public structure built after the town was incorporated. The hall was a narrow frame structure with wooden benches located Eighth Avenue […]